Vertretung William Blyth
Tondachziegel seit 1840
Am Sandwall, 19
Fax: 032 22 40 82 540
William Blyth tile works was established in 1840 and while time has moved on, we continue to respect our heritage and use skills and expertise that have stood the test of time.
Barton upon Humber was once the brick and tile-making capital of Britain, due to the natural clay deposits found in abundance in this part of North Lincolnshire. The industry can be traced back as far as the seventeenth century, when the vernacular of thatch was gradually replaced with tile roofs and brick-built dwellings.
William Blyth was one of the many tile and brick manufacturers found along the Humber’s south bank. When the Brick Tax was abolished in 1850, the tile and brick industry expanded so that by the early 1890s, around 20 such manufacturers operated in the Barton area.
Today, only William Blyth survives, at the Hoe Hill tile yard and Far Ings tile works.
The current Hoe Hill works were sold to William Blyth during the 1870s. The company has made and exported its goods for many generations. One of the only significant changes to production has been the use of motorised vehicles rather than horse-drawn ones – most aspects of the manufacturing process still use traditional methods.